Spring Sports Preview

Spring Sports Preview

Toby Meyer, Reporter

As the winter sports season wraps up for high schools all around the country, the start of the spring season is knocking on the door. To this point, spring sports are a go for the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA). With lots of concern certainly around the fall sports and some around the winter sports season, the spring sports season seems to have the least of the concern so far this school year. This will be the first high school spring sports season in Indiana since the 2019 seasons after the IHSAA canceled the 2020 seasons due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Tiger softball opens their season under their new head coach Robert Dowhen just under a month from now when they take on Lawrence Central High School on March 20.

“The team is adjusting well [playing for a new head coach] I would say, everyone seems to be putting in all their effort all the time. He definitely pushes us, but in a good way,” sophomore Charli Albea said. “I’m most excited to even have a season considering we didn’t even get one last year.”

The boy’s golf team will also play their first season under a new head coach, Sam Godby, former three sport athlete at LHS including golf, tennis, and basketball.

“I think our team is adjusting very nicely to having coach Godby as our new coach. A lot of people already know coach Godby so we already have that good relationship between coach and athlete,” said sophomore Alex Emenhiser. “What I am most excited for in this coming season is being able to finally compete for Lebanon and hopefully win us a conference championship.”

The baseball teams kicks off their season March 23 at Bishop Chatard High School after their well anticipated 2020 season was canceled due to COVID-19.

“I am excited to play the game I love with my teammates,” sophomore Jacob Susong said. “The team’s goal is to bring back a sectional championship to Lebanon.”

The girl’s tennis team open up their 2021 campaign April 7 at home as they take on Bishop Chatard High School.

“I’m excited to play with the girl [senior Jessica Lehmkuhler] who’s stuck by my side my whole life and get to play the last season with her,” said junior Michelle Horvat. “My goal is to get to meet the incoming freshman and newbies and just to have some fun.”

The LHS boy’s and girl’s track and field squad start their season on March 16 on the road at Hamilton Heights High School.