March Madness Tournament to Take Place in Indy

Cami Deakins, Reporter

While last year’s March Madness basketball tournament was cancelled due to COVID-19, it has been announced that the entirety of the 2021 tournament will take place in Indianapolis.

“I was so excited to hear that the tournament is in Indianapolis because it’s so close to home and I love March madness,” said sophomore Jadin Ricci.

Basketball is commonly known as the sport that “took hold on Hoosiers like nothing before and thrived in Indiana like nowhere else”. The NCAA hall of fame is stationed in Indianapolis making the city a beacon for those who love basketball.

“Last year when March Madness was cancelled, I was really disappointed because it is something I get excited for all year. I’m so glad it’s in Indianapolis this because it’s so close to home,” said junior Alexis Wines.

The 67-game tournament will be taking place in venues such as Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum, Mackey Arena, Assembly Hall, and the two courts in Lucas Oil Stadium. The NCAA intends on the tournament starting late in March and wrapping up in the first couple of weeks in April.

While COVID restrictions are slowly being lifted, the fan attendance will not be determined for a number of weeks. The NCAA stated that it is “partnering with a local health provider to administer COVID-19 testing within the controlled environment for players, coaching staffs, administrators, and officials.”