Tigers Sectional Run

Riley Jump, Reporter

The Tigers faced a tough end to a great season. The boys basketball team recently competed in sectional play here at LHS. This was the first year in many that the sectional tournament had been hosted by the Tigers. Having the advantage at home made a huge difference for the players.

“It was nice being at home because everyone cheered louder than usual and we had more fans come to the game. However, Covid really took away from how great it could’ve been,” said junior, Reese Jones.

The first round, the Tigers took on Indianapolis Shortridge in a strong game. Having played a great game, the Tigers were able to walk away with a. 68-47 win against the visiting team. This win meant they would move onto face Guerin Catholic. Going into the second game, it was important for the team to prepare for the next round as it would be more challenging than the first.

“We had the mentality that after the first game, we had a record of 0-0. We didn’t want to be satisfied. We went in knowing we had to play with each other and play like we know we can,” said sophomore, Kayden Sloggett.

Unfortunately, the Tigers fell short against Guerin Catholic in a 30-49 loss. Despite the loss, the boys were proud of the work they put in throughout the season. During sectional play, there were many things the Tigers did well, but also some things that fell a little short.

“Our first game was great, that was probably the best we’ve played all year. Our shots were falling, our offense was good, and our defense was even better. We played worse in our second game because we just couldn’t get our shots to fall and our offense wasn’t great either. It hurt we didn’t have Reese Jones, due to an injury, in our second game,” said senior, Braden Robison.