Opening Weekend for Baseball

Garrett Harker, Sports Editor

With April starting up, that means Major League Baseball for everyone to watch. Since COVID-19 caused the season to start-up late last year it was amazing to get started on time for all of the fans and the players. The opening weekend for baseball was nothing short of amazing, fans were showing their support more than ever because they began on schedule once again.

One of the biggest excitements of the opening weekend was the scuffle between the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals after Nicholas Castellanos was hit by a pitch early in the game. Castellanos scored on a passed ball and flexed on Cardinals’ pitcher Jake Woodruff. Shortly after, both benches cleared and some words were exchanged from both sides.

“I love seeing that type of stuff in baseball because it makes it more fun to watch and it gives the game a little more excitement,” said sophomore Jacob Susong.

Another very exciting moment of the opening weekend was getting to see phenom Shohei Ohtani get the start against the Chicago White Sox. In the first inning of play, Ohtani threw a fastball 101 mph and shut down the White Sox in the first. Ohtani then stepped to the plate and hit a ball 115.2 mph off the bat 451 feet over the fence. He became the first player to pitch and hit in the first two spots in the lineup since 1903.

“It was honestly amazing seeing somebody in Major League Baseball is good enough to pitch at that high of a level and be able to hit at such a high level as well,” said sophomore Kayden Sloggett.

Opening weekend in baseball was filled with highlights and was extremely fun to watch for everyone who cherishes baseball. The season rolls on and hopefully they are able to stay in full-swing the entire year to keep baseball fans around the world happy.