Vaccine or Not?

Vaccine or Not?

Leah Bashor, Reporter

There have been many views on whether or not to get the covid vaccine. Now that kids 16 and up can get the Pfizer vaccine there are many opinions from kids and teachers.
Math teacher, Mr. Adkins, got his vaccine. Adkins received Pfizer and had little to no symptoms. “I had a sore arm on the first shot probably due to the needle being longer, the second shot I had a headache for about two hours and was fine,” said Adkins.
Weights coach, Coach Rodgers, has not yet received the vaccine for two reasons. “It is only cleared for emergency use in the United States and being in my 20’s, and getting married later this year, I am planning on having a family within the next five years. This data is only based on the limited time we have been able to administer the vaccine to this kind of population, which has not been long enough in my opinion for me to trust the vaccine with my health and my future children’s health at this time,” said Rodgers.
Senior, Morgan Kasey, received the Pfizer vaccine. “I was really sick right after my shot but was perfectly fine after a while. I think doing anything to slow down the spread is the only way for life to go back to normal and I think that doing that is important so not only we can live our lives day to day but also so people aren’t dying at rapid rates,” said Kasey.
Senior, Joe Wilborn, will not be receiving the vaccine. “This vaccine hasn’t been around long enough for me to feel comfortable with it. We are not sure of the future side effects and I don’t want to risk it,” said Wilborn.
Gym and health teacher, Mr. Tucker, got the vaccine. “I had symptoms with both doses but nothing I couldn’t handle. I was very tired and sore and I also had a terrible headache. Although there are some side effects it is nothing we can’t handle, I think it is important for everyone to get it so you can protect yourself and others. I trust the research and think it is safe,” said Tucker.
Although there are mixed feelings on this vaccine everyone’s feeling are valid. We are entitled to our own opinions and choices. If you are considering the vaccine our 4-H Farm Bureau Building will be hosting a vaccine clinic on May 22nd and June 12th from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Sophomore, Sandybel Paz got the Pfizer vaccine. “I think people should get the vaccine so they can be safe and keep others safe. My only side effect was a sore arm,” said Paz.
If you are looking to get the vaccine soon the Boone country 4H Fairgrounds are holding vaccine clinics on May 22nd and June 12th from 9am-3pm. June 12th will only be a second dose clinic.