Inside Scoop from Dr. Milleman

Inside Scoop from Dr. Milleman

Riley Jump (Senior) and Toby Meyer (Senior), Editors-in-Chief

COVID-19 has changed many aspects of our lives, and when it comes to the school environment many are interested in what comes next for the LHS protocols. The superintendent Dr. Milleman had many new updates on the current situation, but remains optimistic and excited about this school year.

“There’s a lot to list about what is going good this year. I’m just proud of how people have learned patience with each other. It’s hard to find a silver lining in a pandemic, but I think our students, staff and even administrators have found a whole new level of maturity, “said Milleman.

As news and rumors spread, the concept of mask wearing is making its appearance in many conversations. Cases are rising and being quarantined is becoming a more common occurrence. Because of rising cases, many people are wondering whether virtual learning is in the near future or not.

“When it comes to when to go virtual or not there isn’t a bright red line. Last year the issue was staffing. We are beginning to see more of that now that but since the vaccine is available, we are seeing a lot less people being quarantined, but there is no certain number that determines whether or not we go virtual. When we get to 20% of the school population out for the same situation, that’s when the Boone County Health Department (BCHD) comes in to assess the situation,” said Milleman.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Milleman has remained in constant communication with the BCHD. From discussing positive cases, close contacts, and future steps, there are constantly changing statistics and protocols.

“I call him if I have a question or concern. He’ll call me almost daily, or at least 3 times a week. Every Monday morning the BCHD will call and tell me how many positive cases we had over the weekend as a county. Recently we have been getting back to those higher positive numbers that we saw in the beginning,” said Milleman.

Recently, news has come out regarding the future of masks in schools and whether the mandate will return or not.

“The board is looking at the new governor’s executive order at the next meeting, every school’s board has the responsibility to consider what is best for the students. I give them the best information I can, and the ultimately make the decision,” said Milleman.