The PSAT & SAT and the Opportunities it Provides

Cami Deakins (Senior), Editor

What is the PSAT? The PSAT, or Preliminary SAT, is a standardized test administered by the College Board and cosponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation in the United States. It is used to determine who qualifies for the National Merit Scholarship that will go towards your college education at any university. This scholarship is highly competitive and Lebanon High School is proud to honor the four National Merit Scholars that earned top 3% of all PSAT scores across the United States: Aaron Carter, Samuel Green, Riley Newman, and Abigail Thomas. Sam Green placed in the Semi-finals in the top 1% of scores across the U.S.

“I’m extremely honored to be a National Merit Scholar and I’m also proud of myself for working hard to get here. I’m not the best at taking standardized tests, but I took practice tests and worked hard for that one,” said senior Aaron Carter.

What is the SAT? The SAT is a standardized test widely used for college admissions in the United States. Although most colleges aren’t requiring you to take the or submit your scores, it is a nice bump to have on your college applications. The SAT is one of two possible tests that can be submitted to colleges, along with the ACT. They are both really similar tests, just grading on a different scale. SAT scores range from 400-1600 and ACT scores range from 1-36.

“I’m about to take the SAT in November because I was told by upperclassmen that it’s better to get ahead on it and then all the juniors will take it again in March. I’ve been working on the SAT prep book and I’m excited to take this step towards college,” said junior Kiana Richards.

In previous school years, the PSAT was taken by sophomores and the SAT was taken by juniors and seniors whenever they decided to take it. However, instead of juniors taking ISTEP, it has been replaced by the SAT. So, all juniors will take it in March as a graduation requirement.

“I was going to take the SAT anyway, but now that they have required it, I have less I have to plan because I have enough homework during my junior year. I am using the prep book and doing as much as I can to prepare,” said junior Alexandria Barr.