MLB Playoffs

MLB+Playoffs

Jacob Susong (Junior), Reporter

Out of the 30 MLB teams, ten of them make the postseason.  There is an American League and a National League (15 teams in each).  In each of these leagues, there are three divisions (five teams in each).  The team with the best record from each of these divisions gets a spot in the playoffs.

There are an additional two teams from both the American and National League that get a spot in the postseason.  These four teams are called “Wild Cards”.  These two teams from each league play each other in a one-game, win-or-go-home playoff.

“The Wild Card games are so much fun to watch.  The sudden death aspect energizes the players.  I love all of the postseason games, but the Wild Cards are definitely my favorite to watch.” said sophomore Ben White.

The four Wild Card teams this year include the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees from the American League, and the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals of the National League.

In the National League, the top playoff seed is the San Francisco Giants.  They finished the year with 107 wins.  They will play the winner of the Cardinals-Dodgers Wild Card game in a five-game divisional series.

“The Giants have been such a surprise this year.  Before the season, nobody saw them winning so many games.  I personally thought they wouldn’t reach the playoffs.  Obviously, I was wrong.” said freshman Joe Susong.

As for the American League, the top seed is the Tampa Bay Rays.  They will play the winner of the Red Sox-Yankees game in a five-game series as well.

The other National League divisional series games are between the Milwaukee Brewers and Atlanta Braves.  Both of these teams have had solid seasons.

“I think that the Brewers definitely have the upper hand in this series.  With star player Ronald Acuna Jr. out for the season for the Braves, I think it will be hard for them to score runs.” said junior Corbin Daisley.

The last divisional round series is between the Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros on the American League side.  This series is projected to be a good one.

“I’m really looking forward to this series.  I think that it will definitely go the full five games.  These teams are evenly matched.  They both can score runs and they both have solid pitching staffs.  It will be interesting to see how the series unfolds.” said senior Andrew Phelps.