Scholarships and FASFA Time

Scholarships and FASFA Time

Clara McQueen (Senior), Editor

It’s officially that time of the year. The time when high school seniors should be filling out their FAFSA, researching scholarship opportunities, and making college decisions a priority.

Step one for getting ready to commit to your future college is to file your FAFSA. FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You might wonder why filling this out is so important and why colleges keep emailing you to do this, but that’s only because they are trying to help you. FAFSA is important because it lets you know what federal aid including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study that you may be eligible to receive. Filing this early also may benefit you because some aid is awarded based on first come first serve.

Although figuring out all the steps to completing your FAFSA may not be easy, it will be worth it in the long run. Go to http://studentaid.gov to start your application. To complete your FAFSA you will need information such as: your social security number, your federal income tax returns, your bank statements and records of investments (if applicable), and records of untaxed income (if applicable), which is why it is highly recommended to fill this out with your parent/guardian who has access to all of this information. Soon after this is all filled out, the schools you are accepted to will send you how much federal aid they can offer you, which will make deciding which college to go a lot easier money wise.

Step two for getting ready to commit to your future college is to invest some time into researching and applying for scholarships. A good variety of schools will already consider you for an academic merit scholarship without the extra hassle of filling out an additional application. Academic merit scholarships are based on your transcript and how well your GPA is. This varies on the time of when your application was turned in, though, which is something that you can research or contact your top colleges about. If you want additional scholarships through the college you are wanting attend, reach out to them. They will be happy to help guide you to the scholarship opportunity’s that they offer, and if you don’t want to do that you can always just check their websites as they should all be listed somewhere on there.

Another way of finding scholarships is as simple as checking your canvas emails. The counselors at our school have sent out lists of local scholarships that are awarded each year at LHS, and the list grows each time they send it out. Always be on the lookout for those canvas messages.

The last way of finding scholarships is by researching them. There are many websites out there that can find scholarships for you. All you have to do is fill out some questions about yourself and your future plans, and then you will be matched to millions of scholarships. And although you won’t receive every scholarship that you apply for, there’s no hurt in trying.