Everyone’s Favorite Notification

Sofia Argotte (Senior), Reporter

One of our favorite types of email or calls to get on our phones; a two-hour delay notification. An alert that lets you know you can sleep in today and have a shorter school day.

“It’s always student safety. Especially if there’s snow and ice being accumulated,” said LCSC superintendent, Dr. Jon Milliman.

One of the main factors for deciding if there will be a snow day is looking at the actual air temperature, if there is snow and ice, and depending on the windchill occasionally. Student drivers are also a big factor and thinking of their safety and if it’s safe enough for them to be driving in this kind of weather.

“I get out there around 4:30 in the morning and drive it and if I think I don’t want the kiddos driving through this, driving fast to get to school, then I’m also thinking about the elementary kids standing out there waiting for their bus,” said Milliman.

To decide if there will be an e-learning day, they communicate with the Transportation Director to see if they can get all of the students before the two-hour delay timeframe. Plows are heavily relied on to get most of the snow out of the way, especially on country roads since they are the most dangerous.

“I almost think delays are harder than cancelations are,” said Milliman.

Mid-January to mid- February is the heaviest activity for two-hour delays and cancellations due to the cold weather. Fog delays are more common in the fall and sometimes spring as well.

“[The] National Weather Service helps prepare us a little and also shows that mid-January to mid-February has the heaviest activity,” said Milliman.

Canvas and technology are a big help with school cancellations, helping us have e-learning days instead of a fully cancelled school day. There are technology specialists in every school to help parents and students who might be struggling with technology issues. The schools’ custodial and maintenance do a lot of winterizing and preparation for our schools.

“There’s a lot that goes into the building maintenance when it comes time to the seasons changing,” said Milliman.

Some calls are made the night before if it’s set-in-stone and we’re already there, ready to make the call. LCSC has a paid weather service called BAM Weather to help determine the extent of the weather. While calls are more convenient to have the night before, it’s sometimes hard to be able to tell that early and know if you’re making the correct choice or not.

“We never know if it’s actually going to happen the way it says it’s going to happen. It’s not all black and white,” said Milliman.