Coach Cosgray Wins District Coach of the Year

Brayton Bowen (Senior), Sports Editor

The 2021 Lebanon Tigers baseball team was one of the best teams that head coach Rick Cosgray has ever coached. The Tiers went 23-3 overall, and won the Sagamore Conference with a 13-1 conference record.

“I was blessed with the opportunity to coach this special group of guys. Every single one of our players bought into what us coaches were preaching, and everyone accepted their roles. Without our players and coaches connecting and understanding each other so well, I don’t think we would have been that successful,” Said coach Cosgray.

The 2021 Tigers baseball team achieved the greatest single season record in Lebanon High School history with an 88% winning percentage. The Tigers had three seniors, led by all-state selection and University of Cincinnati signee Garrett Harker. Matthew Coddington and John Stillwell were also senior contributors.

“This senior class was nothing short of spectacular. Garrett was potentially the best player overall that I have ever coached, and both of the other seniors were great leaders and did what seniors were supposed to do,” Said coach Cosgray.

Unfortunately, the season ended short for the Tigers as they lost in the sectional semi-final against North Montgomery by a score of 3-2. The Tigers only came up with four hits in the game, which will not win many games.

“To win a baseball game, you have to be fundamentally sound in all phases. Pitching, defense, hitting, and base-running. We were good in all of those categories except for hitting. We just needed one or two more hits in some big spots and we unfortunately didn’t get them in those big moments. But that team was my favorite team I have ever coached and it was an honor to be the head coach of such a successful team,” Said coach Cosgray.