2021 Girls State Wrestling

Emma Bailey (Junior), Reporter

Here at Lebanon High School the Lady Tigers Girls Wrestling team is turning the heat up. With more girls on the team in 2021 than ever, the team is slowly but surely becoming more well-known and improving in their skill set. They are three times South Regional Champions and 2021 IHSGW State Champions, they sure know what they’re doing.

LHS Alumni Faith Crouch “Seeing Sarah Huse win state was a crazy feeling, the atmosphere in the crowd was extraordinary. Everyone was up on their feet and cheering as loud as they could. That’s why I miss tiger tending so much because everyone was like a family.”

In 2021 there were three who got to participate in 2021 IHSGW State Finals. Senior Jazlyn Gramlin, Junior Grace-Ann Merchant, and Junior Flor Reyes were the participants. The girls who wrestled in state left it all out on the mat and wrestled their hearts out. Overall, the team placed 13th out of 110.

Weighing in at 152 Jazlyn Gramlin was 2021’s State-Runner up. Jazlyn has gone to state the past two years but she’s never made it to the champion round, until now. She wrestled with everything she had in her, she says “The match felt way different than any other since it’s my senior year and being under the spot light makes everything so much more exciting.”

“While I was wrestling, I was so pumped up because I have wrestled her before so I knew that I was prepared. In the End we both came out stronger than ever. I sadly fell short of taking the champion title but I was still so proud of myself for how far I’ve come,” said senior Jazlyn Gramlin.

Weighing in at 170 Grace-Ann Merchant placed 5th. This was her very first time actually wrestling in state, the past 3 years she’s gone but never participated because of an injuring. But this time around Grace-ann finally got to patriciate. She says, “I was so determined to not get 6th so I just went out there and did what I needed to do.”

“The energy from the crowd and team mats made me want to succeed, I’m so glad I can call them my team.” Said Junior Grace-ann Merchant.