Football Sectional Preview

Brayton Bowen, Sports Reporter

As the 2020 High School football regular season comes to an end, this can only mean one thing. You guessed it, playoff football.

In Indiana, every single High School football team regardless of their division is guaranteed at least one playoff game in a single elimination tournament based typically on school size. These tournaments are held at six different “levels” of schools in Indiana, those levels go from 1A, all the way up to 6A.

Lebanon falls under the 4A category, and is in sectional 22 with Beech Grove, Indianapolis Crispus Attucks, Roncalli, Western, Frankfort, and Indianapolis Shortridge High School.

The tigers have experienced struggles in their past when it comes to playoff football. The tigers have not won a football sectional in over 30 years.

The Roncalli Rebels of Indianapolis are seen as the early favorites to win this sectional in many eyes. This is fair considering that they beat the Lebanon Tigers in the sectional championship 34-13 last season.

“The competition for us will be tough, but we are also a tough group of guys. We embrace challenges well, and if there is not a better time for your team to get momentum, playoff time is most definitely,” Said Junior Levi Plummer.

Other teams in the sectional such as Western, Frankfort, Crispus Attucks, and Speedway have all amounted at least four wins with one more game left to play in the regular season.

Other teams that are considered to have a good chance at the sectional championship are Western, Lebanon, and Beech Grove. These teams will all have to most likely get through the Indianapolis powerhouse in Roncalli though to win the sectional.

“We have a lot of challenges in our way to make the sectional championship, but if we can rally behind our senior leaders, we will be just fine,” Plummer added.

Can the tigers pull through to win their first sectional in over 30 years?