Spring Sports in Full Swing

Spring Sports in Full Swing

Riley Jump, Reporter

Despite it being such an unusual school year, LHS athletes are happy to know that spring sports are still in full swing. Track & field, baseball, softball, girl’s tennis, and boy’s golf are some programs that will be taking place this spring, and many have already begun the preparation and conditioning for the upcoming season.

“Most of the team is currently in the weight room either every day or Tuesday and Thursday. We also practice Mondays and Thursdays in order to prepare for our season,” said junior baseball player, Andrew Phelps.

Everyone is aware this season may be different than past spring sports season, but that doesn’t change the excitement that athletes feel about the goals they want to accomplish during their sport. COVID 19 has changed many aspects of fall and winter sports this past year, and it may affect how spring sports are played and watched as well. However, many athletes are just excited to be back playing the sport they love with a team they are connected with.

“I feel really great about this upcoming season. My goal is to make it to state this year and also get into college for shotput and discus,” said senior Ashlyn Terrill.

Quarantine has changed the ways and habits of a lot of people. When you have a lot of time at home, many student athletes work to improve their ability to play the sport they love. Preparing yourself personally for a sports season is one of the most important things an athlete can do.

“Some ways that I have been preparing for the upcoming season is getting involved in other sports during the off season so that I stay in shape for next season,” said sophomore softball player Abby Johnson.