The Pennant

The Student News Site of Lebanon High School

The Pennant

The Pennant

Alani vs. Celsius
April 25, 2024
Prom Night Info!
Prom Night Info!
April 25, 2024
Water Wars is Back!
Water Wars is Back!
April 15, 2024

Disrespect and fighting on the rise at LHS

From fights happening in school and at football games to being disrespectful to teachers and staff, too many students’ school behavior has become an issue. Students have misbehaved for a long time, but this school year it has gotten a lot worse.

Upperclassmen have been upset with the behavior they’ve been seeing in school and at football games.

Senior Vincent Laney said, “I think they’re just immature. Also, they have too much pride in themselves.”

Many students believe that there have been an absurd amount of fights in the school, but there weren’t actually that many. As of press time, SRO Hawkins estimated there were 6-8 fights that have happened in the school and roughly 6-12 suspensions.

Assistant Principal Kristen Scott said, “Numbers have been exaggerated because things like to be shared.”

Fights can happen over the littlest things such as someone saying something rude to you or someone talking to your ex-boyfriend or girlfriend. According to the LHS handbook student misconduct can lead to suspension, examples are “Using violence, force, noise, coercion, threat, intimidation, fear.”. SRO Hawkins mentioned one of the fights was over an ex-boyfriend and the situation was resolved after the fact.

Scott said, “People like to stir the pot.”

When fights happen, it’s like a moth drawn to a flame. People swarm over to where the fight is happening and instead of helping the two people in the fight they pull out their phones and start recording. Fights were a big issue at the beginning of the year.

SRO Hawkins said, “It’s calmed down (now).”

The fights in LHS have slowly calmed down since the beginning of the school year. The students have been behaving a lot better and there are many changes to every student here at LHS. Hawkins looked for the silver lining, though, commending those who have learned a valuable lesson through the process.

Hawkins said, “I’m very proud of the students, even those that were in the fights.”

View Comments (1)