The Pennant

The Student News Site of Lebanon High School

The Pennant

The Pennant

Everyday People Wake up and Depend on food (farmers)

Everyday people wake up and depend on food, though getting food to the store isn’t easy. The process starts at a farm, either if its hamburger, tomatoes, corn, etc. it always comes from farmers. Lately Farmers haven’t got the appreciation they’ve always deserved.

When you think of a farming many think it’s an easy life, having heavy equipment, lots of land, making money. Though it doesn’t always go as planned, actually most of the time it goes the complete opposite of planned. Believe or not, accidents happen frequently, it’s just what happens. Either spilling lots of corn from the auger, wrecking heavy equipment, cattle getting infections, and so much more.

“It doesn’t matter what day it is; our plan always gets switched up somehow. At least something pops up or something gets in our way, you just have to deal with it and keep on trucking,” said Farmer Chuckie Ford.

Unfortunately, the world has been more depressed lately, mental illness is more popular than ever. Mental health plays a big impact on farmers and people don’t see that. 97.4% of farmers had some form of depression – from National Library of Medicine. The suicides of farmers from last year were higher than usual. “I think farmers need to be recognized more often for what they have to deal with,” said Junior Colin Fouts.

Lebanon’s FFA recently reached out to farms around Boone County and ask them if they could bring them a snack during harvest for their support. Students will be going out of there way and drive around the county on a day in October thanking them for all they do. “Farmers are one of the most unappreciative group’s, they clothe us, feed us and work at least 18-20 hours a day” said Lebanon FFA advisor/teacher Miss Lee. Farmers

“I think they’re underestimated; I think it would be neat if they could make some movies about farming. I think that would get farming out there a little more,” said Sophomore Xavier Myers.

Interviewees would like to shoutout and thank the following Farms – Morelock Livestock, Susong Farms, Ford Farms, and anyone that has to go home after school and help during harvest.