The Pennant

The Student News Site of Lebanon High School

The Pennant

The Pennant

Alani vs. Celsius
April 25, 2024
Prom Night Info!
Prom Night Info!
April 25, 2024
Water Wars is Back!
Water Wars is Back!
April 15, 2024

LHS Experiences Decline in School Spirit

Lebanon High School has a variety of sports and clubs students can participate in. Not a lot of the LHS students participate in these sports/clubs, and even worse they don’t show their support towards the school.

Macie DeLaRosa, a cheerleading captain, thinks that LHS has more spirit now than when she started her school year. When COVID hit, Macie thought that the school spirit was not present, we couldn’t dress up for events and it was hard to show up to school for half a week to show the spirit. Macie says that the social media account “Lebanon Student Section” is a good example of how LHS shows the school spirit.

“Show out or go home.”

LHS student section leader, Avery Blount says that there was definitely more spirit when she first started her year at LHS than now. The upperclassmen had a lot of spirit in them and were very enthusiastic about it, she says that she feels there is less of it with the seniors now. Dress up for all the themes, go to support other sports, and just show that you care about LHS, this will help the spirit at LHS!

“Come to all the football games, be there and be loud.”

LHS football coach/history teacher, Mr Smock shares that LHS had more spirit than than now. Smock says that fewer people are participating and they’re isolating themselves from being in sports/clubs since COVID. He says that showing up, even if you don’t have a personal interest in that sport or club, shows that you care about the school spirit.

“It’s not the enjoyment that you get out of it, it’s about the enjoyment of the people who have dedicated their time to their interests. It’s about being involved, it’s about being caring towards your building,” said Smock.

Mr DeBard, a history teacher and former coach, shares that LHS hasn’t improved in spirit from when he first started his school year at LHS. Half the school population is supportive, not just towards sporting events but also extracurriculars of all types, and the other half of the population is completely absent.

DeBard said,”The best way to show your spirit at LHS is to go to things, participate in things, be involved, and have something yourself that you’re included in. Just because something is outside your comfort zone doesn’t mean you can’t show your support.”